Saturday, May 13, 2017

EasyAraMiNT



Putting old hardware to good use...

Aranym is a piece of software by Petr Stehlik that helps create a virtual Atari computer capable of running GEM software at lightning speeds. However, most find Aranym rather awkward to set up from scratch so a fella called Philippe Noble has made something called EasyAraMint. This is a ready-to-go installation using EasyMint 1.18 which provides an incredible multitasking environment using the power of the host, be that a Mac or PC.

As you can see in my expertly recorded video, I'm using an old Mac Mini that was recently donated to me (thanks Mum!). My video shows me using unix 'scp', viewing images, reading a PDF, listen to cool tunes, and playing Doom before ending with a little web browsing. Yes, this is as geeky as it gets. Love it!! :-)

EasyAraMint can be installed in minutes and comes pre-installed with Atari programs. Philippe has done an outstanding job with this ready-2-go multitasking OS. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Both Aranym and EasyAraMiNT can be downloaded and tinkered with so let me know what you create!



I accessed another Mac via FTP and chatted online with a friend. What a geek I am!!


The command line might not look much fun so I jazzed up this screenshot with PixArt...


Not all websites display perfectly but what do you expect for free? Good enough, I say :o)


After browsing the web, why not read a PDF document and listen to some background tunes too!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Let us know how u get on :)

      Delete
    2. Well, for starters, I don't understand the config key bindings :D

      Delete
    3. It's been a while for me... but isn't there a doc file that explains this. Awkward ones for capturing the wallpaper as I remember... Hmm I think it's on his website! https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/operating-system/the-manual

      Delete