Friday, June 09, 2017

Oids [upgraded]



It's Oids, but better!

Oids is a shooter set deep in outer space and has us rescuing little metallic men from captivity. Like Dungeon Master, every ST guy has played this at some point in their life. It's a classic, simple as that, and nothing similar comes close. I've probably spent hundreds of hours on it over the decades so check out our review from last year.

However, I must admit that I was shocked to discover that it only runs at 10/12fps (PAL/NTSC). I'm sure today's kids will probably laugh at such a low framerate! Oddly, it doesn't feel that low, but that didn't stop Peter Putnik from developing an upgraded version running at 25/30fps and he even improved the controls too.

This is a fascinating upgrade that enhances the original game - without spoiling it in any way. Check out the upgrade for yourself as it's added a whole new dimension to our iconic thruster. And I love it to bits!!

No comments:

Post a Comment