Sunday, June 25, 2017

Sinister Developments

        

I recently found the Sinister Developments website and was surprised they still listed all their old Atari ST software. These guys were one of the best shareware groups in the early-mid 90 who developed five fantastic games that put many commercial companies to shame. However, none of the downloads worked so I was more than a little gutted and decided to send them an email. I got a reply from Gordon Gibson himself who promptly fixed the links!!
  • Centipede - Gordon said they wanted a mix between Centipede and Millipede which worked out incredibly well but boy was my mouse-hand killing me after half an hour!! I found a few bugs but nothing to stop my fun. This is a frantically zany and frenzied version of the classic, a superb conversion. (click on the above animation to view it large).
    To bypass the shareware message just press "ESC" key on the language screen.
  • Painter - I personally thought this was the weakest of the bunch but it's still enjoyable and very difficult with AI to die for (literally). There is also funky stereo music on the Atari STe.
  • Asteroids - This begins with a familiar intro supporting stereo playback on an Atari STe. I found it initially difficult but, after a few tips from the man himself, I began to do a little better. I still suck at it but at least I'm "better" :-) (click on the above animation to view it large).
    To bypass the shareware message just press "F10" key on the language screen.
  • Space Invaders - I think this is my favourite of the bunch. It's a beauty and feels authentic yet fresh and is another with DMA music. Also, the in-game sound effects are in stereo!!
    To bypass the shareware message just type in "PEPSI MAX" on the language screen.
  • Galaxians - I've always been rubbish at this but it's such a great conversion. I think that Sinister have created one of pure gold which makes me feel I'm in the 1980s again. Also, perhaps it's just my eyes, but I'm seeing a 3D effect on the main menu!! Can you?
    To bypass the shareware message just press "INSERT" key on the language screen.
Each "shareware" game is the latest release and freely available to download for Atari ST/STe computers. I think this is so generous because I've often tried to find the full/registered versions of many, only to be disappointed. These are all brilliant and I think there is something here for everyone. As a backup, I have a zipped download of all their games on my Dropbox and I've also recorded short videos of Space Invaders (STe) and Galaxians (border removed).

Oh heck, just stop reading and begin an afternoon of awesome #retrogaming Atari ST style!! :*)