Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Berzerk


I strangely felt the need to compensate for my gaming horror (which saw me embarrassingly struggling with Platform Capers) so Dave Munsie has rushed to my rescue with his adaption of the 8-Bit classic, Berzerk. However, I admit I had my fingers crossed when first loading, hoping it didn't suck compared to the great 2600/5200 games...

We are the wobbly stickman intruder running around randomly generated screens killing silly robots. These guys are a mixed bunch, some dumb enough to fry themselves on the electrified walls whilst others are amazingly accurate shooters. Try to kill them all and collect your bonus reward otherwise, you're called a chicken!! Otto is as fearless as ever and only too eager to rear his smiley mug and chase you across the screen. Some may scoff at the graphics but I appreciate that they aren't spruced up to ST standards as this would have ruined it completely. I love the speech synthesis which is spot-on perfect and makes me grin like the Cheshire Cat. "Chicken, fight like a robot" -brilliant!!

Berzerk is fantastic and this is one of the best 8-Bit conversions I have played. 10/10.

LINKS

 - I've recorded a video and you can find Berzerk on Serenade #51 thanks to Stonish.